top of page
The Harrisonburg Farmers Market mission is to provide the public with easy access to fresh, nutritious, locally produced agricultural goods and crafts of the highest quality; to assist local and regional farmers and other producers to directly market their products to the local customer base; and to support environmental stewardship and community well-being.
The first real roots of the current Market began in the 1950’s with Clarence Dellinger, a local organic producer, who began selling produce in the parking lot of the Harrisonburg Police Station. He later joined the organized market.
The Downtown Harrisonburg Farmers Market that we enjoy today was started in 1979 by Samuel Johnson, a fruit and vegetable grower, with the help of community leaders and the Downtown Harrisonburg Retail Merchants. The Market incorporated in 1994 as a Producer Only Market and has been a source for fresh locally grown and produced foods and crafts for the Community for over 30 years. Operating in the lower level of the Liberty Street Parking Deck until 2006 it continued to grow and evolve. In mid summer of 2006 the Market moved to the Municipal Lot on South Liberty Street. A permanent home for the Market in the form of the beautiful Turner Pavilion was completed in 2008 and the Summer Market has become the place to be in Downtown Harrisonburg on Saturday mornings. As the awareness of the importance and benefits of eating locally and supporting local sustainable agriculture continues to grow the Harrisonburg Farmers Market looks forward to being an even more vital part of the growing Community it serves.
bottom of page